June 2, 2009 by Martin
I couldn’t resist trying the T-Mobile (Huawei E181) HSDPA modem on my netbook running Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop. This is all I had to do to get it working:
- Plugged in the USB modem.
- Created a new ‘Mobile Broadband’ profile using the connection wizard in Ubuntu’s (Gnome) Network Manager (which already had the T-Mobile USA ‘Internet’ settings pre-configured).
- Clicked connect on the newly created ‘T-Mobile (Internet)’ profile.
Wow, that was easy! Easier than on Windows or on a Mac.
Again, I tested my download speed … in the same physical location as I tested it on with my Mac … i.e. with somewhat limited coverage. I ran it a few times. I got download speeds of over 800 Kbps every time. Even faster than on my Mac.